Monday, March 31, 2014

Can I Get the Bullet Points? - Relationship Advice of the Day 3/31/2014

So, I was on the phone with one of my best female friends who has been in my life for over 10 years.

We were talking about this blog that you're currently reading. She asked me, "Why don't you blog more often?" She then commenced to scold me before I could fully answer her question.

As we laughed about it, I started to answer. Before I could fully answer the question, she interrupted and said, "Can I get the bullet points?" We laughed hysterically.

I realized that in relationships of all kinds, it is important to have the desire to want to hear the other person in order for the communication to remain respectful, uplifting, and fruitful. Otherwise, it will not be beneficial for all parties involved.

The other realization came when I asked her, "Did you like what you read?" She didn't answer. I asked again. She still didn't answer. So, I asked, "Did you read any of my blog posts?" She deflected the question with laughter and a few questions. We laughed and she finally said, "Yes. I read your posts and I liked them." That made me smile.  ;-)

I have many things that I do, and I don't always know if people are appreciating or reading what's being put out. As an entrepreneur, my time is the most valuable asset I possess. Therefore, it is very important to know what is being shared, read, valued, etc.

The same goes for relationships. You must let the other person know when you are pleased with what they've done. We often focus on what's not done correctly versus what we like and appreciate from the other individual.

Moral of the Story: Listen. Allow the other person to fully express their thoughts and feelings. DON'T BULLET POINT YOUR RELATIONSHIP. Don't BULLET POINT your interactions. You might miss something valuable. When this happens, it usually causes MISS-Understandings. Meaning, you two have MISSED what the other one was meaning in a particular situation.

Lastly, value one another by expressing Words of Affirmation. Without these words one may often stop doing the one thing you like just because they were never AFFIRMED by you.

###

For more info visit
www.ArmaniValentino.com

No comments:

Post a Comment